Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pozole-Bastardized


Traditional Mexican pozole is usually all porked up, but after passing by a can of hominy in the story, I decided to try to improv a non-traditional version.
I sauteed about a half an onion and two cloves of garlic in some olive oil.  Tossed in a large can of hominy.  After letting that soak up all the flavor for a bit, I added a cup of veggie broth, a cup of tomato sauce, a can of black beans, a hearty splash of Valentina sauce and a dash or two of cumin.  I let it simmer on low for a good fifteen minutes and topped it with avocado slices and tortilla chips.
Mexican grandmas not withstanding, people are going to like this easy soup.

2 comments:

  1. I had a friend also make it with canned enchilada sauce. Is that normally vegan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes ma'am. Just sodium-heavy.

    ReplyDelete