Thursday, April 5, 2012

Vegan Queso


If you're not from Texas and know some Spanish, you may wonder what people are talking about when they ask for a bowl of queso.  You want a bowl of cheese?  In a way, yes.
Queso is a Tex-mex cheese dip which I have de-dairyed and kept delicious.


What you need:
3/4 cup almond milk (unsweet is best for this)
1 generous cup of nutritional yeast
1/2 cup flour
2 tbsp of margarine
squirt of yellow mustard
squirt of soy sauce
Can of tomatoes and chilies (e.g. Rotel)

What you do:
Melt the margarine.
Whisk flour and milk in a bowl, add to pot with nut. yeast and stir well.
Reduce heat.  Throw in everything else.  Heat for just about 5 minutes while stirring.
More milk will make for a thinner version.  More of the nut. yeast will make it cheesier and thicker.  More of the margarine will make it fattier and creamier.

Grab some chips and dig in.



3 comments:

  1. I am so happy that I came upon your blog. I am seriously thinking about a major change in the way I eat and you have some awesome recipes. I have a question for you though, because I am new to the vegan diet is margarine really considered vegan? And do you use wheat flour in place of the white bleached all purpose flour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some margarines are vegan. Smart Balance Light with flaxseed oil for one and Earth Balance as well.
    As for flour, I've been using more and more wheat flour, but also experiment with others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some margarines are vegan. Smart Balance Light with flaxseed oil for one and Earth Balance as well.
    As for flour, I've been using more and more wheat flour, but also experiment with others.

    ReplyDelete