Saturday, June 16, 2012

Vegan Sushi


I was inspired by my friend Roxy getting a fancy roll at a sushi restaurant.  Veggie options are usually boring. Cucumber roll, for example.  Meanwhile, my friends are getting the Shaggy Dog and the Rock and Roll and all this other more delicious looking stuff.

My version is not going to please a sushi traditionalist, but will likely please your palette.

Sushi time!

Sushi rice:
I didn't use the special sushi rice but opted instead for jasmine rice.  I cooked 2 cups of it in a rice cooker and then plopped it in a bowl once it was done.  Stir in 1/2 cup vinegar (you're supposed to use rice vinegar.  I used white and it came out tasty regardless), 1 tbl sugar, 1 tsp salt.

While the rice is cooking, you can chop your veggies.  You can't see the carrot in the pic, but I used carrot, avocado and cucumber.  You want long, thin slices.

Place a sheet of nori rough side up. (Note:  You are supposed to be placing this down on a bamboo rolly thing, but if you're like me you don't have one and probably won't be making enough sushi for it to be worth it.  It was a little sloppier but totally fine without it)  Spread the rice thinly across the nori sheet.  You should leave a little space around the edges, like the rice was the art and the nori is the picture frame.

Now place your veggies in a line on one side of the rice.  They should be bunched together pretty good.  Now you just have to roll it up.  This is where the bamboo roll makes the process easier and smoother, but without you just have to be firm and roll it up tight.

Grab your sharpest knife and slice some sushi pieces.  

The topping I have in the photo is french fried onions (not just for green bean casserole anymore!) and spicy vegan mayo.  Spicy vegan mayo is two parts veganaise and one part Sriacha hot sauce.  My wife said it was a bit hot like that so you can tone it down if you are a wussy like her.  Ha, ha, just kidding.  I love you Julie.

You're ready to impress.    



No comments:

Post a Comment